Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saratoga in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate

 
 
Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, March 29, 2011
1. Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate Marker
Inscription.  
Site of
Martin McCarty’s Toll
Gate – 1850-51.
Around it grew this
town of many names:
Toll Gate · McCartysville
Bank Mills · Saratoga

 
Erected by Saratoga Lions Club.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 37° 15.452′ N, 122° 2.04′ W. Marker is in Saratoga, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is at the intersection of Big Basin Way (State Highway 9) and 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west on Big Basin Way. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saratoga CA 95070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John C. Hutchinson Building (here, next to this marker); Hutchinson /Cloud-Smith Store/Samuel Cloud House (a few steps from this marker); McCarthy Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Grover House (within shouting distance of this marker); Saratoga State Bank (about 600
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
feet away, measured in a direct line); Methodist-Episcopal Church (about 800 feet away); Saratoga World War I Memorial (about 800 feet away); Saratoga (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saratoga.
 
Regarding Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate. In 1850-51 Martin McCarty, a lumberman, built a toll road up the canyon to what had become known as Campbell's Redwoods. At the lower end of the road a small settlement, then known as Toll Gate, began to grow. In 1855 a post office was established under the name of McCartysville. McCarty's toll gate crossed Big Basin Way, then known as Lumber Street, near the corner of Third Street. In 1854 William Haun and John Whisman established a gristmill called Redwood Mills. The mill was later purchased by Charles Maclay who changed the name to Bank Mills. In 1863 he was also successful in changing the name of the post office to Bank Mills. In 1865 the village changed its name again. This time Saratoga was chosen as the town was close to the nearby Congress Mineral Springs. The name commemorates the famous mineral springs in New York.
 
Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Adam Margolis, June 19, 2016
2. Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate Marker
Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, March 29, 2011
3. Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate Marker
The John C. Hutchinson Building is seen behind the marker.
Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Adam Margolis, June 19, 2016
4. Site of Martin McCarty's Toll Gate Marker
The marker can be seen on the right.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,122 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 7, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   2. submitted on April 13, 2022, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California.   3. submitted on April 7, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   4. submitted on April 13, 2022, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=41512

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 24, 2024