Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bay View in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Medusa Portland Cement Company

 
 
Medusa Portland Cement Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jamie Abel, April 17, 2011
1. Medusa Portland Cement Company Marker
Inscription.  The Sandusky Portland Cement Company, later known as the Medusa Portland Cement Company, was founded here in 1892 by Arthur, Spencer and William Newberry, sons of geologist Dr. John Strong Newberry. Portland cement was manufactured at the Bay Bridge plant for 68 years as the result of rich deposits of clay and marl, discovered during Dr. Newberry's geological survey. In 1913, thousands of barrels of cement from this plant were used in the extensive work of beautifying Buckingham Palace in London.
 
Erected by Erie County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
 
Location. 41° 28.147′ N, 82° 48.718′ W. Marker is in Bay View, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on Barrett Road near Newberry Avenue, on the left when traveling west. The marker stands on the south side of the road, about three quarters of a mile NNE of the Bay View exit from Ohio Route 2. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Fort Sandusky (approx. 2.7 miles away); Village of Venice (approx. 2.7 miles away); World's Shortest Airline (approx. 4.1 miles away); Johnson's Island Civil War Prison (approx. 4.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); Cholera Cemetery / In Honor of the Doctors (approx. 4.7 miles away); In Memory of Mason, Simonds & Mingus (approx. 4.7 miles away); First Battle Site (approx. 4.7 miles away).
 
Medusa Portland Cement Company Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jamie Abel, April 17, 2011
2. Medusa Portland Cement Company Marker
The marker, with Barlett Road in the background, running WSW toward Sandusky, Ohio.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2011, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,485 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2011, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=41806

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024