Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Merrifield in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Camp Russell A. Alger

 
 
Camp Russell A. Alger Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 16, 2007
1. Camp Russell A. Alger Marker
Inscription.  Named for Secretary of War Russell A. Alger, the camp was established in May 1898 on a 1,400-acre farm called Woodburn Manor. Some 23,000 men trained here for service in the Spanish-American War. The large military population greatly affected the lives of the residents of the small communities of Falls Church and Dunn Loring. The camp was abandoned early in August 1898 after an epidemic of typhoid fever. The War Department began the sale of land in September 1898.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number B-14.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, Spanish-American.
 
Location. 38° 51.954′ N, 77° 12.181′ W. Marker is near Merrifield, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Arlington Boulevard (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Falls Church VA 22042, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Memorial to the Four Chaplains (approx. 0.7 miles away); We will never forget. (approx. ¾ mile
Camp Russell A. Alger Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 16, 2007
2. Camp Russell A. Alger Marker
away); Luther P. Jackson High School (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Pines (approx. 1.6 miles away); Original Site of Saint James Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Tinner Hill Historic Site (approx. 1.7 miles away); Tinner Hill (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Tinner Hill (approx. 1.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Report on the Camp's Water Supply. From the New York Times, June 8, 1898. (Submitted on December 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Camp Abandoned. New York Times article from August 15, 1898. (Submitted on December 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

3. Senator Russell Alexander Alger. (Submitted on March 16, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
 
Camp Russell A. Alger, 1898 image. Click for full size.
Wikipedia
3. Camp Russell A. Alger, 1898
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,688 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 13, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on March 16, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 27, 2021