Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lake Geneva in Walworth County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Wisconsin's First 4-H Club

 
 
Wisconsin's First 4-H Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, May 15, 2011
1. Wisconsin's First 4-H Club Marker
Inscription.  The Linn Junior Farmers Club was the first 4-H Club organized in Wisconsin. Mrs. May Hatch, local community leader, and Thomas L. Bewick, newly appointed State Boys and Girls Club Leader at the University of Wisconsin, organized the club here on the Hatch farm, October 30, 1914.

The club was started five months after Congress passed the Smith-Lever Act which created the Cooperative Extension Service whereby federal, state, and county governments participate in the county agent system.

Four boys and three girls attended the first meeting of the club. Membership grew to 21during the year with projects in livestock, crops, gardening, canning, cooking, and sewing.

During this period, similar boys and girls clubs were beginning in other states. The movement grew rapidly and the variety of projects with appeal to rural and urban youth increased. By 1970, four million urban and rural members were participating annually in the nation and 4-H had spread to 84 countries of the world.
 
Erected 1970 by Wisconsin State Historical Society. (Marker Number 175.)
 
Topics and series. This historical

Wisconsin's First 4-H Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, May 15, 2011
2. Wisconsin's First 4-H Club Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1799.
 
Location. 42° 32.844′ N, 88° 27.885′ W. Marker is in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, in Walworth County. Marker is on County Route BB, half a mile west of Hillside Road, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in a wayside area on the south side of the road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake Geneva WI 53147, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Andy Gump (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Old Mill Race (approx. 3˝ miles away); Maple Park (approx. 3˝ miles away); The 755th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron (approx. 6.2 miles away); First Swedish Settlers in Wisconsin (approx. 7.3 miles away); Welcome to Illinois (approx. 7.4 miles away in Illinois); The Webster House (approx. 9.3 miles away); Birthplace of “The Greatest Show on Earth” (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake Geneva.
 
Also see . . .  4H Club History. (Submitted on May 19, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Wisconsin's First 4-H Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, May 15, 2011
3. Wisconsin's First 4-H Club Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 727 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=42496

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 28, 2021