Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sedalia in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Canary Cottage

 
 
Canary Cottage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Patrick G. Jordan, June 4, 2011
1. Canary Cottage Marker
Inscription.  Canary Cottage (c.1927-1928) was the personal residence of Dr. Charlotte Hawkins Brown, where she hosted numerous social functions for faculty, students, and her many friends.

Dr. Brown did keep canaries at her home. It is because of the birds, the cottage's exterior paint color, or both that the house acquired its name. It was a modern urban style home with two full bathrooms, central heating from radiators, a refrigerator, electric lights, telephones, and a radio in the library.

The house is currently restored and furnished to look as it would have in the late 1930s and early 1940s when Dr. Brown lived here with her three nieces, all students at Palmer. Canary Cottage was also home for female teachers and other women staff members, as well as younger students and visiting relatives.

To train students in cultured behavior, Dr. Brown hosted teas and other social events in her home. She held a formal reception on the east-side lawn before the first day of classes each year.

Canary Cottage was the model for the Carrie M. Stone Cottage (1948) next door and the Massachusetts Congregational Cottage (1950)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
at the east end of campus. Its location allowed Dr. Brown to look out over the school. From her desk and easy chair, she could observe the buildings and grounds and watch students as they walked across campus. (Marker Number 5.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation.
 
Location. 36° 4.081′ N, 79° 37.424′ W. Marker is in Sedalia, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker can be reached from Burlington Road (U.S. 70) 0.2 miles west of Palmer Farm Road, on the left when traveling west. The marker is on the grounds of the Charlotte Hawkins Brown historic site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6136 Burlington Road, Sedalia NC 27342, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carrie M. Stone Cottage 1948 (within shouting distance of this marker); Meditation Altar (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Charlotte Hawkins Brown, 1883 - 1961 (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of Dr. Charlotte Hawkins Brown (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Dr. Charlotte Hawkins Brown (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles W. Eliot Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Origins of Palmer Memorial Institute
Side View of Canary Cottage and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Patrick G. Jordan, June 4, 2011
2. Side View of Canary Cottage and Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charlotte Hawkins Brown Museum (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sedalia.
 
A Celebrity Marriage image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Patrick G. Jordan, June 4, 2011
3. A Celebrity Marriage
Dr. Brown's niece, Maria Hawkins Cole and Nat "King" Coleat a reception held in honor of their marriage in 1948. Selected senior girls served as hostess for the occasion.
Christmas 1937 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Patrick G. Jordan, June 4, 2011
4. Christmas 1937
Dr. Brown, along with relatives and Palmer staff members, enjoy Christmas in 1937.
A party on the lawn, 1941. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Patrick G. Jordan, June 4, 2011
5. A party on the lawn, 1941.
Reception 1955 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Patrick G. Jordan, June 4, 2011
6. Reception 1955
Students meet Dr. Brown and the other Palmer faculty at the formal reception in 1955.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2011, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 4, 2011, by Patrick G. Jordan of Graham, North Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=43115

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024