Stone Dam at Allen Station
In 1912, the railroads needed more water, and a larger dam was constructed just to the south on Cottonwood Creek, submerging this dam. In the 1960’s, the 1912 dam was breached, majestically revealing the original 1874 dam.
This railroad water reservoir dam is thought to be the only one left in the United States. The citizens of Allen are proud of the role Allen Station played in the development of North Texas.
Erected 2002 by Allen Heritage Guild.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists:
Location. 33° 7.018′ N, 96° 39.865′ W. Marker is in Allen, Texas, in Collin County. Marker can be reached from E. Exchange Pkwy. Behind commercial buildings at address. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 E Exchange Pkwy,, Allen TX 75002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Allen Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Williams Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); George McGarrah Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away); Collin County Poor Farm (approx. 4.7 miles away); Collin County Farm (approx. 4.7 miles away); Corinth Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); Pecan Grove Memorial Park (approx. 5.1 miles away); Governor James Webb Throckmorton (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Allen.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2011, by Mark Reynolds of Allen, Texas. This page has been viewed 3,013 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2011, by Mark Reynolds of Allen, Texas. 3. submitted on May 17, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.