Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Log Cabin Pioneers of Dallas County
Most colonists first settled in this "Three Forks" area of the Trinity River as members of the Peters Colony after 1841. Immigrants from such states as Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, and Tennessee brought with them a tradition of building log shelters.
Land title was granted to settlers who worked at least 15 acres and built "a good and comfortable cabin upon it." This region was abundant in oak, juniper (popularly called cedar), walnut, ash, bois d'arc, and elm trees, which furnished sturdy building timbers.
John Neely Bryan, a colonist from Tennessee, arrived near this site in late 1841 and built a log cabin in 1842. The area's first school and church was built of logs at Farmer's Branch (12 mi. NW) in 1845. J. W. Smith and J. M. Patterson brought goods from Shreveport (184 mi. E) in 1846 for resale at their log store in Dallas.
Milled lumber appeared in Dallas buildings by 1849, and bricks were available by 1860. That year a fire destroyed most of the town's original log cabins.
The nearby cabin was built of cedar logs before 1850, possibly by Kentuckian Gideon Pemberton. It was
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6775.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1841.
Location. 32° 46.779′ N, 96° 48.417′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Main Street just east of North Record Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dallas TX 75202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dallas County (here, next to this marker); Dallas County Records Building (within shouting distance of this marker); John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Juries to Sit Women in Dallas County (about 300 feet away); The Old Red Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Women's Suffrage in Dallas County (about 400 feet away); Formerly The Texas School Book Depository Building (about 400 feet away); Dealey Plaza (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 918 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 14, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 15, 2011, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.