Eau Claire in Eau Claire County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Eau Claire County Courthouse Square
A Place to Plan the Future
The square was nevertheless quickly becoming a center of civic life. The county held its first fair here in 1858, and the next year a jail went up on this block. Finally in May 1862, the county government moved into a wood-frame building on the Emery Street side.
The county bloomed through the era. In 1853, then known as the Town of Clearwater, Chippewa County, it had 200 people. By 1860, Eau Claire County had 3,200 folks; by 1870, it had 11,000.
Only ten years after the county moved its operations here, growth in county needs and services forced yet another move.
In 1873, the county began building a new courthouse at Grand and Oxford on Eau Claire's west side. By 1877,
[Caption on map: Detail of bird's eye map of Eau Claire, 1872. Courthouse Square is marked by the [star]. The block was still bordered by Farwell, Barstow, Emery, and Earl Streets in 2006.]
Major contributions provided by Charter Bank Eau Claire, Wisconsin Humanities Council, and other donors to the Eau Claire County Sesquicentennial Commission.
Erected 2006 by the Eau Claire County Sesquicentennial Commission.
Location. 44° 48.393′ N, 91° 29.708′ W. Marker is in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, in Eau Claire County. Marker is at the intersection of South Barstow Street and Earl Street, on the left when traveling south on South Barstow Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eau Claire WI 54701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Abe of Co. C (within shouting distance of this marker); Dean-Griffin House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John S. Owen House (about 500 feet away); The Cobblestone House (about 600 feet away); Temple of Free Masonry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roy Wilcox House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Petronilla and James T. Barber House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ Church Cathedral and Parish House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eau Claire.
More about this marker. The marker was part of the Eau Claire County Sesquicentennial and bears its slogan, "Changing Roles in Changing Times."
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Eau Claire County Courthouse Square.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.