Eau Claire in Eau Claire County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
City of Bridges
Frequent fires and floods in the "sawdust city" days often damaged bridges. The 1884 flood took out five. Bridge technology was limited, too. Fearing damage to local bridges, the City of Eau Claire threatened a fine for driving a horse across a bridge "at more than a walk."
Eau Claire's bridges have been built and rebuilt. In 1899, Minnie McDonough christened a third Grand Avenue bridge. Floods had destroyed its predecessors.
In time, Eau Claire's bridges not only helped citizens cross the waters; they also unified the original villages into one city.
William Bartlett, Chippewa Valley Historical Society Meeting, 1926
Honoring Our Parents Louis and Miriam Arnold, Bridge Builders
[Caption on photograph:]This photograph was taken just north of this spot in 1882. Built in 1880, the bridge passed its 125th anniversary in 2005. Wisconsin Historical Society collections.
Erected by children of Louis and Miriam Arnold.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 44° 48.794′ N, 91° 30.267′ W. Marker is in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, in Eau Claire County. Marker is on Riverfront Terrace 0.1 miles west of North Barstow Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eau Claire WI 54701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Haymarket Square" (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eau Claire River (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eau Claire (approx. ¼ mile away); City Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Herman T. Lange House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eau Claire Public Library Woltersdorf House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Mittelstadt House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eau Claire.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.