Sussex in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Here in yesteryears were a saw-mill, brewery, grain elevator, lumber yard, and stores; and later a creamery, cheese factory, lime-kiln, and three railroads.
For some 50 years it was Wisconsin’s chief center of hop-growing, introduced here in 1837 by John and James Weaver.
In 1854 was here opened the first cooperative store in Wisconsin.
In 1888 James Templeton founded the hamlet of Templeton on the Soo Railroad.
In 1920 Mammoth Spring Canning Co. began operations as a vegetable packer, becoming the largest beet packer in the country. Its famous Kewpie label was the symbol of nation-wide popularity.
Since 1930 it has been the center of production of the widely used Lannon building stone, now in nearby quarries opened in 1841.
Sussex combined with Templeton to the east to become a village
Erected 1969 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 30-02.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1843.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 43° 8.013′ N, 88° 13.013′ W. Marker was in Sussex, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker was on Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: N63 W236 Main Street, Sussex WI 53089, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. First Woman in Town of Lisbon (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Alban’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mammoth Spring Hotel - Saloon (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sussex Mills and Bug Line RR (approx. 0.4 miles away); Zion Evangelical Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Halquist Quarry (approx. 1˝ miles away); Hon. Thomas Weaver Home (approx. 1˝ miles away); Sixteen School (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sussex.
1. Marker Removed and Stored
When the old Community Hall was torn down last year, the village
— Submitted July 18, 2018, by Michael R. Reilly of Hartland, Wisconsin.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,233 times since then and 99 times this year. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.