Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lisbon in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
MISSING
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

Lisbon Plank School

 
 
Lisbon Plank School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, July 1, 2010
1. Lisbon Plank School Marker
Inscription.  First school in Lisbon-Sussex was built possibly as early as 1839 no later than 1841, by George Elliot, using stone from James Weaver’s nearby quarry (presently Halquist’s). Earliest school commissioners David Bonham, Sherman Botsford, & R. Blount set up first recorded meeting May 16, 1842. Early stone school was used for church dances, weddings, & political meetings. Original Town of Lisbon annual meeting met here April 5, 1842 with Bonham elected Town Chairman. School rebuilt in 1869, Named after Lisbon Plank Toll Road built in 1840’s. The elementary school closed in 1951.

Erected in 1990 Lisbon Plank School Reunion Committee Revised 2002 Waukesha County Historical Society.
 
Erected 1990 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-03.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1929.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 43° 6.729′ N, 88° 12.892′ W. Marker was in Lisbon
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker was on Lisbon Road (County Road K) ¼ mile west of State Route 74, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: W23558 Lisbon Road (County Hwy K), Sussex WI 53089, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Halquist Quarry (within shouting distance of this marker); Hon. Thomas Weaver Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sussex Mills and Bug Line RR (approx. 1½ miles away); Mammoth Spring Hotel - Saloon (approx. 1½ miles away); First Woman in Town of Lisbon (approx. 1.6 miles away); St. Alban’s Episcopal Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Zion Evangelical Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Pioneer St. James Catholic Church (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lisbon.
 
Additional commentary.
1. The Lisbon Plank School
The Lisbon Plank School was the first school in the Lisbon-Sussex School District. The original school building was built between 1839 and 1841 by mason George Elliott with stone from the Weaver Quarry and had only one classroom. It was known as the Lisbon Road School. When the plank road was built of green white oak in front of the school in 1846, the school was renamed the Lisbon Plank School. The first annual Lisbon town meeting was held in the school on April
Lisbon Plank School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, July 1, 2010
2. Lisbon Plank School Marker
5, 1842. The building was originally used for church functions and government meetings as well as a school. All eight grades were taught in this elementary school. The school census in 1842 was 110 students and three teachers. A more substantial new school building was erected in 1868. The first formal eighth-grade graduation from the school was held in 1889 with the awarding of diplomas. In the 1920s, hot lunch meant bringing your own glass jar from home filled with soup, meat or vegetables. These jars were then placed in a large pan of water on the stove top, where they simmered starting at 11 a.m. and were ready for lunch at noon. Each student had his or her own spoon, which was kept in each owner's desk all year long. Also everyone had a tin cup for water scooped either from the pump outside or a common pail.

The one-room school survived until 1950 when many one-room schools were replaced by larger schools. The building was used as a home for a while, and then Halquist Stone Co. purchased it and has been using it as a company store and a mineral and fossil museum.

An all-class reunion for the students and faculty was held Aug. 12, 1990. A memorial tree was planted near the building during the reunion. The first historical marker was placed on that day. You can still see the original school bell on top of the building just over the inscription.
Lisbon Plank School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, July 1, 2010
3. Lisbon Plank School Marker
    — Submitted May 10, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
 
Lisbon Plank School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul F, July 1, 2010
4. Lisbon Plank School Marker
Lisbon Plank School Marker is missing. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jim Schaettle, March 7, 2021
5. Lisbon Plank School Marker is missing.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,109 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on June 20, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 2, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.   5. submitted on March 7, 2021, by Jim Schaettle of Madison, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=43610

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024