The Bullard family lived here for 90 years. Their guests included President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Generals George Patton and George Marshall who dined on “Country Captain,” a popular regional dish originated by the family cook, Arle Mullins.
The house was listed in the National register in 1977 and painstakingly restored in 1978 by the new owners, Dr. and Mrs. Lloyd Sampson.
Erected 1991 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Historic Columbus Foundation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #32 Franklin D. Roosevelt series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 32° 28.377′ N, 84° 59.334′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tyler Home (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); High Uptown Historic District / Garrett-Bullock-Delay House (about 400 feet away); Birthplace of Robert Winship Woodruff (about 400 feet away); Ernest Woodruff / Robert Winship Woodruff (about 400 feet away); Last Land Battle in War of 1861-65 (about 500 feet away); The Rankin House (about 500 feet away); Philip Thomas Schley (about 600 feet away); Haiman's Sword Factory (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Regarding Bullard-Hart-Sampson House. It is said that the builders of the house, Jackson and Tinsley, went bankrupt during construction "as a result of extravagancy of detail."
Franklin D. Roosevelt was a frequent visitor, and announced his decision to run for governor of New York in a nationwide radio broadcast from the parlor of the house.
The house is believed to have been the first in Columbus to have electricity.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 901 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.