Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Zeile Mine and Mine House
Mine location to the southeast.
Erected 2004 by Amador County Sesquicentennial Commission. (Marker Number 2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sutter Creek Gold Mine Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 20.746′ N, 120° 45.965′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway Street and French Bar Road, on the left when traveling south on Broadway Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Broadway Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William J. Paugh House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jackson Fire Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away); V. S. Garbarini, Sr. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Masonic Hall & Court House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Old Spring (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rocca's Hall, Theatre, Arena Site of 1852 Louisiana House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Louisiana House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Regarding Zeile Mine and Mine House. Amador County’s Gold Mine Trail was established as part of the Amador County Sesquicentennial celebration in 2004. It is a 15 mile driving tour of some of the county’s 300+ gold mines. There are 18 official stops and numerous other sites and markers along the trail.
From the Gold Mine Trail booklet: “After the placer gold rush of 1848-50, miners began to dig into the earth and rock to uncover gold imprisoned in quartz rocks’ deep veins. The largest vein was the Mother Lode between Yosemite (Oakhurst) and Georgetown in El Dorado County. The 20-mile stretch for the Mokelumne River to the Cosumnes river was the richest, producing some $160 million in gold between 1851 and 1842 (current value $5 billion).
The first hard rock mines were found in Amador County in 1851. The original Ministers’ claim and the Spring Hill were soon followed by many others: Lincoln, South Spring Hill, Keystone, Original Amador, and Eureka.
By the 1870s-80s Amador County was working 300+ mines. There were some tunnels, but
Workers came from all over the world to look and work for gold. Most were from Europe: Italy, Yugoslavia, and Cornwall. Many stayed on the settle towns, marry and, raise families. Some mines vanished over the years; others still exist. Of the 300-400 mines, only eight headframes still stand, but many foundations, shafts and surface works remain.”
Additional keywords. Gold Mining
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
More. Search the internet for Zeile Mine and Mine House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 625 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 13, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.