Near Amador City in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 2004 by Sutter Creek Promotion Committee and Amador County Sesquicentennial Commission. (Marker Number 16.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources. In addition, it is included in the California - Sutter Creek Gold Mine Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 38° 25.801′ N, 120° 49.701′ W. Marker is near Amador City, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Bunker Hill Road south of Fremont Mine Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15165 Bunker Hill Road, Amador City CA 95601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bunker Hill Mine (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fremont-Gover Mine (approx. half a mile away); New Chicago Amador City Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Original Amador Mine (approx. ¾ mile away); Imperial Hotel (approx. 0.8 miles away); Keystone Mine (approx. 0.9 miles away); South Spring Hill Mine (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Amador City.
Regarding Treasure Mine. Amador County’s Gold Mine Trail was established as part of the Amador County Sesquicentennial celebration in 2004. It is a 15 mile driving tour of some of the county’s 300+ gold mines. There are 18 stops on the tour of which Treasure Mine is the sixteenth.
From the Gold Mine Trail booklet: “After the placer gold rush of 1848-50, miners began to dig into the earth and rock to uncover gold imprisoned in quartz rocks’ deep veins. The largest vein was the Mother Lode between Yosemite (Oakhurst) and Georgetown in El Dorado County. The 20-mile stretch from the Mokelumne River to the Cosumnes River was the richest, producing some $160 million in gold between 1851 and 1842 (current value $5 billion).
The first hard rock mines were found in Amador County in 1851. The original Ministers’
By the 1870s-80s Amador County was working 300+ mines. There were some tunnels, but later incline and vertical shafts reached down a mile into the ground. The Kennedy and Argonaut were close to 6,000’ deep. Headframes crowned shafts and stamp mills processed and crushed the ore. Some mines were worked by their founders but most were sold time and again and were improved or went bust. Large American and foreign companies traded in stock and ran the mines from afar.
Workers came from all over the world to look and work for gold. Most were from Europe: Italy, Yugoslavia, and Cornwall. Many stayed on the settle towns, marry and, raise families. Some mines vanished over the years; others still exist. Of the 300-400 mines, only eight headframes still stand, but may foundations, shafts and surface works remain.”
Also see . . . Amadorgold's Treasure Mine Tour. In 1867 the Treasure Mine had a 8 stamp mill. After years of being idle, a hoisting plant was put in place and sink renewed in the summer of 1895. (Submitted on February 10, 2012, by Amador Gold of Jackson, California, Amador County.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 987 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 15, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.