Yukon Saw Mill Office Historic Site
The Yukon Saw Mill Company Office housed the machine shop, sales area, and offices. In 1902 the machine shop business was expanded, reflecting a change in the economy away from the building and construction industry, towards providing supply and repair services to mining companies operating in the Dawson region,
The combination of functional design and superior craftsmanship make the Yukon Saw Mill Company Office an excellent example of vernacular architecture designed for industrial use. Its Front and Duke Street facades and corner entrance are typical of the commercial properties in Dawson in the early 1900s.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1898.
Location. 64° 3.949′ N, 139° 25.809′ W. Marker is in Dawson City, Yukon. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and Duke Street on Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dawson City YT Y0B 1G0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The B.Y.N. Co. Ticket Office/La billettetereie de la compagnie B.Y.N. (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Palace Grand Theatre/Le théâtre Grand Palace (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Post Office/Le bureau de poste (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Madame Tremblay’s Store/Le magasin de Madame Tremblay (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Dawson Daily News (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Rev. William Henry Judge, S.J. (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Northern Commercial Co. Warehouse (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Bank of British North America/La Bank of British North America (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dawson City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 708 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.