University of Nebraska at Kearney
In 1921 the school was renamed the Nebraska State Teachers College at Kearney and became a four-year college. The granting of liberal arts degrees was authorized in 1949, and a graduate program was established in 1956. The name was changed to Kearney State College in 1963.
On July 1, 1991, the institution became part of the University of Nebraska, to be known as the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK). Under its various names, UNK has played an important role in state development and continues to meet the educational, research, and service needs of Nebraska.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1981.
Location. 40° 41.995′ N, 99° 5.652′ W. Marker is in Kearney, Nebraska, in Buffalo County. Marker is at the intersection of 9th Avenue and U.S. 30, on the right when traveling south on 9th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kearney NE 68849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kearney State College Memorial Carillon Tower (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hostetler Amphitheatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buffalo County’s Lincoln Highway Seedling Mile (approx. 0.6 miles away); Kearney Civil War and Spanish-American War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Empress Theatre (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Frank House (approx. ¾ mile away); Old Oregon Trail (approx. ¾ mile away); Kearney (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kearney.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 716 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 3, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.