Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Avery in Shoshone County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

The Olympian Hiawatha

 
 
The Olympian Hiawatha Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, July 22, 2011
1. The Olympian Hiawatha Marker
Inscription.  
On June 29, 1947 the pride of the Milwaukee Road was introduced-- an all new streamlined train called the “Olympian Hiawatha”.

The name “Hiawatha” originated with Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s poem “Song of Hiawatha” written in the mid-1800s. The Milwaukee Road chose the name for their fast streamlined passenger trains because of these lines:

Swift of foot was Hiawatha;
He could shoot an arrow from Him,
And run forward with such fleetness,
That the arrow fell behind him!


This luxurious and futuristic train was styled by noted industrial designer Brooks Stevens. It consisted of a sweeping cab-style diesel locomotive followed by a mail car, baggage dormitory car, three coaches, a dining car, a tap-lounge-grill, a “Touralux” sleeping car, a roomette car and the “Sky Top Lounge” car.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1908.
 
Location. 47° 20.653′ N, 115° 37.837′ W. Marker is near Avery, Idaho
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Shoshone County. Marker can be reached from Loop Creek Road (Federal Road 326) 4 miles west of Cliff Creek Road (Federal Road 506). Located along the Route of the Hiawatha Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Avery ID 83802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Olympian Luxury (a few steps from this marker); The Big Blowup (approx. ¼ mile away); The Mighty Quills (approx. ¼ mile away); The 1910 Fires (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Traveler (approx. 0.3 miles away); Johnson’s Big Cut (approx. 0.4 miles away); Little in Name Only (approx. 0.4 miles away); Electrified (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Avery.
 
More about this marker. On the right are several illustrations with the captions, "In 1952 the lounge cars were replaced with the Super Dome cars. These were two-story cars with 68 seats in the upper glass-domed section and 28 seats in the beverage-lunch-lounge underneath." and "The most distinctive part of the train was its last car—the “Sky Top Lounge”. The rear 20 feet of these cars consisted of a rounded solarium of glass offering an unparalleled view."
 
Also see . . .  Route of the Hiawatha Rail Trail. (Submitted on August 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
 
The Olympian Hiawatha Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, July 22, 2011
2. The Olympian Hiawatha Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 915 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=45631

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024