Near Johnson City in Carter County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Carter County / Washington County
Established 1796 named in honor of
Treasurer of Washington and Hamilton Districts. Speaker of the first State of Franklin Senate, later its Secretary of State, also Lieutenant Colonel of the Washington District Militia.
Established 1777 named in honor
Colonel in the Colonial Army; Commander-in-Chief of the Revolutionary Army and first President of the United States of America.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1A 31.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1796.
Location. 36° 19.597′ N, 82° 18.841′ W. Marker is near Johnson City, Tennessee, in Carter County. Marker is at the intersection of Elizabethton Highway (Tennessee Route 91) and Fleming Road, on the right when traveling west on Elizabethton Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Johnson City TN 37601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Dungan’s Mill (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Court of Washington County (approx. 1˝ miles away); Powder Branch (approx. 2 miles away); Milligan College (approx. 2 miles away); Robins’ Roost (approx. 2 miles away); Johnson City Sessions (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Johnson City Sessions (approx. 2.1 miles away); John Sevier Hotel (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 594 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.