Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Bulgarian Orthodox Church

 
 
Bulgarian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, December 27, 2007
1. Bulgarian Orthodox Church Marker
Inscription.  Original site of Saint Stephan Bulgarian Orthodox Church in 1915; relocated in 1955 to 1435 North Medford Avenue. Founded by Macedonian and Bulgarian immigrants to fulfill their religious needs and enjoyment of the traditions, customs, and fellowship of their Slavonic heritage.
 
Erected 1995 by Indiana Historical Bureau
Ladies Auxiliary of St. Stephen, and St. Stephen Church Members. (Marker Number 49.1995.1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1915.
 
Location. 39° 46.282′ N, 86° 10.213′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of North Blackford Street and West New York Street, on the right when traveling south on North Blackford Street. Located in front of Eskenazi Hall, Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis Campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 226 North Blackford Street, Indianapolis IN 46204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Bulgarian Orthodox Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, December 27, 2007
2. Bulgarian Orthodox Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker. Isaac Blackford (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Training Camp (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Sullivan (Military Park) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jones Tabernacle A.M.E. Zion Church Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greek Orthodox Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mary Cable / School No. 4 Site (approx. ¼ mile away); Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Talking Wall (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,494 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 7, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4616

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 11, 2022