Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Welcome to Dailey’s Park

 
 
Welcome to Dailey’s Park Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), July 17, 2020
1. Welcome to Dailey’s Park Marker
Inscription.  Dailey’s Park. The Garrett County Historical Society welcomes you to Dailey’s Park. This park is named in honor of John and Ann Rebecca Dailey, who owned and operated the Glades Hotel in Oakland from 1859 to 1881. Historian Thomas Scharf noted that “Mr. Dailey was one of the best known hotel proprietors in the country and had a reputation for urbanity and a thorough knowledge of his business.” In addition to the Glades Hotel, Mr. Dailey also managed the Revere House in Cumberland for several years, and operated the Deer Park Hotel for one season. In the 1870s Mr. Dailey created a large public park in Oakland, along Second and Liberty streets, between the train station and railroad crossing. This area, known as Dailey’s Park, was later occupied by various businesses, but in 1999 the historical society re-established this small portion of the former park. It should be noted that Mr. and Mrs. Dailey’s daughter, Mary, was the wife
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of General George Crook, a distinguished Union officer during the Civil War. A large monument in the old Oakland Cemetery marks the burial site of John and Ann Rebecca Dailey.

The Deer Park Hotel Gazebo, Gas House, and Porch. In the late 1880s and early 1900s Garrett County became a popular tourist mecca, due to large measure to the efforts of John Garrett, President of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. In the 1870s, under Mr. Garrett's direction, the railroad built two large hotels in the county, one in Oakland and a larger, grand hotel in Deer Park. These hotels no longer exist, but the gazebo and gas house now located in Dailey's Park are from the Deer Park hotel grounds. In 1999, the gazebo was donated to the society by Alden Perando. It was carefully restored and moved to the park later that year by the Tri-State Gazebo Company.

The gas house was donated to the society by Jerry and Janet Browning in 2000. This structure was originally built to house the gas that was used to light the hotel grounds. IT was essentially a stone and earthen bunker to safeguard against a possible explosion. The face stones were carefully removed, numbered, and
Dailey's Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 4, 2006
2. Dailey's Park
The Deer Park Hotel facade of the Historical Society building and cupola with the gazebo (behind the electric pole) on the left and the gas house on the far right. This marker is the one on the left of the parking lot entrace. The one on the right is the Garrett Memorial Church marker. East Liberty Street is in the foreground. South 2nd Street can be seen on the left.
reconstructed on the present site with the expertise of a local stonemason, Gail Hixon.

The porch alongside the museum is designed to capture the charm of the large porch on the front of the Deer Park Hotel. Several architectural features of the original porch were incorporated into the present structure. The rocking chairs on the porch are replicas of the rockers that once sat on the porch of the Deer Park Hotel. The park benches also replicate those used on the park grounds.

Robert E. Browning Memorial. First Lieutenant Robert E. Browning was twenty-four years old when he sacrificed his life for our country. A U.S. Army Air Force pilot in WW-II, he lost his life on August 20, 1944 while on a combat mission over Toulon, France. Lt. Browning was the lead pilot of the 37th squadron, 17th bomber group. On his 38th mission, prior to the southern invasion of France, his B-26 Martin Marauder was hit by enemy anti-aircraft fire and crashed in the Toulon harbor. Only three of his seven-man crew survived. Lt. Browning was a highly decorated pilot, receiving the Air Medal and five oak leaf clusters, plus the purple heart. He was a great, great grandson of
The Gas House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 4, 2006
3. The Gas House
the pioneer Meshach Browning and the son of Cheston H. and Abbie V. Browning of Oakland.

The Browning family generously donated a parcel of land to the Garrett County Historical Society in memory of First Lieutenant Robert E. Browning. This parcel now is comprised of Dailey’s Park and its parking lot.
 
Erected by The Oakland/Mt. Lake Park Lions Club and the Garrett County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsRailroads & StreetcarsWar, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 39° 24.555′ N, 79° 24.486′ W. Marker is in Oakland, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on East Liberty Street near South 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland MD 21550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Revolutionary War Patriots (here, next to this marker); B&O Mile Marker (a few steps from this marker); Deer Park Hotel Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Gas House
Deer Park Hotel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, December 29, 2011
4. Deer Park Hotel
The Garrett County Historical Society Museum disguised as the Deer Park Hotel.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Garrett Memorial Church (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
 
The Cupola image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, December 29, 2011
5. The Cupola
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,963 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 18, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   2, 3. submitted on July 30, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   4, 5. submitted on October 4, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of John and Ann Rebecca Dailey marker in the cemetery • Photo of the Robert E. Browning Memorial • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=466

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024