Near New Port Richey in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Mc Neil Homestead 1882
Photographed By Julie Szabo, January 1, 2008
1. Mc Neil Homestead 1882 Marker
Inscription.
Mc Neil Homestead 1882. . This plat of land (Section 6, Township 26S, Range 17E) was surveyed in January 1847 for the newly formed state of Florida by Deputy Surveyor George Watson. In 1851 the state government created the Internal Improvement Board to encourage settlement, decrease the threat of Indian uprisings and provide funds for internal improvements such as roads. The land was purchased from this Board in 1882 by James Mc Neill, a veteran of the Civil War, 1st Regt., Florida Infantry, Confederate States of America. Tax records indicate it was later owned by J. M. Mitchell (1906-1915), L. L. Anderson (1915-1937) and J. B. Starkey (1937-1972) before its present ownership by SWFWMD. The remains of this early "cracker" homestead indicate activities included farming, timbering, and turpentine production. This Pasco County historic landmark is registered with the Florida Master Site File of the Division of Historical Resources as site #PA1385. Its rediscovery and preservation for the public is a direct result of the combined efforts of BSA Explorer Post 604, members of Boy Scout Troops of the West Central Florida Council of BSA and various organizations and members of the community. . This historical marker is Near New Port Richey in Pasco County Florida
This plat of land (Section 6, Township 26S, Range 17E) was surveyed in January 1847 for the newly formed state of Florida by Deputy Surveyor George Watson. In 1851 the state government created the Internal Improvement Board to encourage settlement, decrease the threat of Indian uprisings and provide funds for internal improvements such as roads. The land was purchased from this Board in 1882 by James Mc Neill, a veteran of the Civil War, 1st Regt., Florida Infantry, Confederate States of America. Tax records indicate it was later owned by J. M. Mitchell (1906-1915), L. L. Anderson (1915-1937) and J. B. Starkey (1937-1972) before its present ownership by SWFWMD. The remains of this early "cracker" homestead indicate activities included farming, timbering, and turpentine production. This Pasco County historic landmark is registered with the Florida Master Site File of the Division of Historical Resources as site #PA1385. Its rediscovery and preservation for the public is a direct result of the combined efforts of BSA Explorer Post 604, members of Boy Scout Troops of the West Central Florida Council of BSA and various organizations and members
Click or scan to see this page online
of the community.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1847.
Location. 28° 15.239′ N, 82° 38.265′ W. Marker is near New Port Richey, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker can be reached from Wilderness Park Blvd near J B Starkey Blvd. Accessible on foot or bike via a paved then sandy trail through J. B. Starkey Wilderness Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10500 Wilderness Park Blvd, New Port Richey FL 34655, United States of America. Touch for directions.
More about this marker. Loop path goes around sites of cabin, well, refuse area and gravesites.
Photographed By Julie Szabo, January 1, 2008
2. Mc Neil Homestead 1882 Marker
Photographed By Julie Szabo, January 1, 2008
3. Log Cabin marker at McNeil Homestead
Photographed By Julie Szabo, January 1, 2008
4. Grave Site marker at McNeil Homestead
Photographed By Julie Szabo, January 1, 2008
5. Grave Site marker at the McNeil Homestead
Pioneer frontier graves were often surrounded by rocks, sea shells or pieces of household pottery. Without readily available transportation to take the deceased to a cemetery, family members were often buried on the property shortly after death. Research of early census records suggest this is the grave of James McNeill's first wife Martha J. (b-1849) and his son Donald J. (b-1870). They died before 1880.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 3,418 times since then and 424 times this year. Photos:1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 10, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.