Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Augusta College Three Original Arsenal Buildings
In 1973, Augusta College named three of the original arsenal buildings in honor of commandants of the arsenal. Payne Hall, storehouse and later headquarters for the arsenal and administrative building for the university, was named for Matthew Payne, first commandant of the arsenal from 1819 to 1827. He oversaw the purchase of the Walker family land and plans for the relocation of the arsenal from the Savannah River.
The Benet House, the arsenal commandant's home, the college president's home from 1960 to 1987, and administrative offices, became a National Historic Landmark in 1973. Arsenal Commandant J. Walker Benet served here from 1911 to 1919. His son Stephen Vincent Benet wrote poetry here while attending Summerville Academy. Stephen won two Pulitzer Prizes, and his brother William Rose won one.
Rains Hall, once Officers' Quarters, bears the name of George Washington Rains, Confederate Commandant from April 1862 until the arsenal's reoccupation by Union troops in May 1865. Under his supervision, the arsenal manufactured Confederate
Erected 2011 by Augusta State University.
Location. 33° 28.565′ N, 82° 1.415′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is on near Patriot Drive near near Arsenal Avenue. Located on campus of Augusta State University. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stephen Vincent Benet House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell at Augusta State University (within shouting distance of this marker); Bellevue (within shouting distance of this marker); The Augusta Arsenal (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Augusta State University (about 800 feet away); Walker Family Cemetery (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named The Augusta Arsenal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Augusta Arsenal 1941 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . Augusta State University, Arsenal History. The buildings were completed in 1828 with the first occupants being Company C, Second Artillery. During the later part of that year, (Submitted on September 21, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Augusta College Three Original Arsenal Buildings.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 645 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 20, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on September 22, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on September 20, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 14. submitted on November 29, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.