Constitution Island in Philipstown in Putnam County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Gravel Hill Battery
With its excellent field of fire, Gravel Hill Battery was the island’s key fortification against British ships. Constructed in the spring of 1776, after Fort Constitution’s inability to command the Hudson had become evident, it was destroyed during British operations in October 1777. The battery was rebuilt in 1778 as the island’s first fortification in the new West Point defensive complex.
This simple battery was hastily constructed in both 1776 and 1778. No stone masonry was used, and the earthen parapets were probably held in place by timber or fascines. The number of cannon in the battery varied; eleven were listed in 1776, six in 1778.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1777.
Location. 41° 24.129′ N, 73° 56.945′ W. Marker is in Philipstown, New York, in Putnam County. It is on Constitution Island. Marker is located on Constitution Island, near the picnic area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Garrison NY 10524, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hill Cliff Battery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Warner House Anna B. Warner Memorial Garden (about 600 feet away); Redoubt 5 (about 600 feet away); Revolutionary War Constitution Island (about 700 feet away); Fortress West Point (about 700 feet away); The Great Chain (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named The Great Chain (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philipstown.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 473 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 24, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.