Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Vernacular Construction

 
 
Vernacular Construction Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 13, 2011
1. Vernacular Construction Marker
Inscription.  Madison first expanded northwest between the Madison Female Academy and the town spring, one branch of Tanyard Branch-so named for the tanning of animal hides on this site. The branch descends from the Main Street ridgeline and is paralleled by W. Washington St. (previously Bridge Street) in an area formerly filled with small and vernacular structures.

The Richter House survives as such modest construction, an 1820s one-room building thought to have served the tannery operations but remodeled to be a residence in 1842 when growth arrived with the Georgia Railroad. Similar structures, once found throughout early Madison have disappeared, especially in the more fashionable upslope parts of town.

By 1975 the Richter House’s severe disrepair and threatened demolition inspired Dr. Josephine Brandon and a group of 7th grade students to begin a program of restoration. Under the leadership of retired Georgia Archivist Carroll Hart, Morgan County Landmarks Society completed the restoration and opened it as a museum and center for local history education.
 
Erected 2011 by City of Madison,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
 
Location. 33° 36′ N, 83° 28.383′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on West Washington Street (Georgia Route 83) 0 miles north of 5th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 490 West Washington Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madison Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madison Train Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Segregated Burial Grounds (approx. ¼ mile away); The Town Spring (approx. ¼ mile away); Industrial Corridor (approx. ¼ mile away); The Town Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Reconstruction Property Rights (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Vernacular Construction Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 13, 2011
2. Vernacular Construction Marker
Vernacular Construction Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 13, 2011
3. Vernacular Construction Marker
Looking north on West Washington Street (Georgia Highway 83) toward Bostwick.
Vernacular Construction Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 13, 2011
4. Vernacular Construction Marker
The marker and the Richter Cottage
The Richter Cottage image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, June 13, 2011
5. The Richter Cottage
Built c.1820 and remodeled in 1842 as a residence
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 573 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47982

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024