Grass Valley in Nevada County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1972 by Wm. Bull Meek-Wm. Morris Stewart Chapter 10, E Clampus Vitus, Nevada City, California.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 39° 13.161′ N, 121° 3.694′ W. Marker is in Grass Valley, California, in Nevada County. Marker is on 114 East Main Street east of North Auburn Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is mounted on the left side-wall at the front entrance. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grass Valley CA 95945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Three Stamp Mill from the Red Ledge Mine (within shouting distance of this marker); Loutzenheiser Pharmacy Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Williams Stationery Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Post Office (about The Alpha Building (about 400 feet away); Grass Valley Hardware (about 500 feet away); Binkelmann Brewery (about 500 feet away); The Holbrooke Hotel (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grass Valley.
Regarding Washington Brewery. From the Walking Tour of Historic Grass Valley brochure:
Built by John Frank and David Binkelmann in 1858, according to E Clampus Vitus; or in 1862, according to other sources. Binkelmann had begun the Grass Valley Brewery in 1856 on North Auburn Street. The brewery was closed by Prohibition and later reopened as the Washington Tavern.
Also see . . . Walking Tour of Historic Grass Valley. Published by the Grass Valley Chamber of Commerce, this brochure highlights many of the historical sites and buildings in Grass Valley. The Washington Brewery Building is Stop #29. (Submitted on October 24, 2011.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 570 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 23, 2011, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.