Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Garrett County Courthouse
The Garrett County Commissioners purchased the present site after the first courthouse became overcrowded. The purchase also included land for the Sheriff’s office and jail directly behind this building on Fourth Street.
A long series of steps used to lead from Third Street to the front entrance of the courthouse. At the bottom of those steps was a semi-circular
Later on the spot where the cannon sat, a large papier-mâché “birthday cake” was constructed to celebrate Oakland’s 100th anniversary in August 1949.
Architect Gordon included in his plans a rotunda for the center of the courthouse. Three stories high, the rotunda has been the site of many small, indoor patriotic programs throughout the years. A large eagle with outstretched wings sits on top of the dome that covers the rotunda.
During the years between 1977 and 1979, the courthouse was enlarged to accommodate a new jail and Sheriff’s office building in an attached building facing Third Street. A new County office building was attached to the rear of the courthouse, extending into the area of Fourth Street where the jail and Sheriff’s office once stood. The stone columns and arches
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Town of Oakland series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 39° 24.505′ N, 79° 24.62′ W. Marker is in Oakland, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is at the intersection of South 1st Street and Alley 3 at the Town Parking Lot on South 1st Street. It is to the left of the Mountain Fresh pavilion at the footbridge over the creek. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland MD 21550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Oakland Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); MaryLandscapes (about 300 feet away); Site of Oakland Hotel (about 400 feet away); The Kildow Mill (about 500 feet away); A Bit of History - The FiresideTouch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
More about this marker. The marker is three blocks from the courthouse.
Regarding Garrett County Courthouse. The reason the marker is three blocks from the courthouse is probably due to the fact that the courthouse and its architecture can no longer be appreciated from the streets surrounding it. The 1977 additions walled the courthouse off from the surrounding streets. The impressive vista up from Third street is gone, and can only be appreciated in old photographs, such as the one reproduced on the marker. J. Riley Gordon, the courthouse’s architect, is surely spinning in his grave.
The 1977 additions replaced the plaza at the foot of the entrance steps with a plaza on the roof of the Sheriff’s office. The view of the original main entrance may be good from there, but there is no way to tell. The new plaza is off limits to tourists. Today you enter the courthouse from the side, through the
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,821 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3. submitted on August 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 25, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on August 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.