Latta in Dillon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pine Hill A.M.E. Church / Pine Hill Rosenwald School
Pine Hill A.M.E. Church
This church, founded in 1876, was in Marion County before Dillon County was created in 1910. At first on S.C. Hwy. 34, the church acquired this site in 1891 when Alfred Franklin Page (1863-1929) and his wife Laura Willis Page (1886-1963) donated 1.97 acres here. The congregation built a new Pine Hill A.M.E. Church shortly afterwards. This sanctuary was built in 1977.
Pine Hill Rosenwald School
Erected 2011 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 17-15.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, and the Rosenwald Schools series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 34° 26.244′ N, 79° 29.19′ W. Marker is in Latta, South Carolina, in Dillon County. Marker is on Centerville Road, on the right when traveling north. Located .25 miles north of State Highway 34. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2258 Centerville Road, Latta SC 29565, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joel Allen House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Selkirk Farm (approx. 2.3 miles away); Catfish Creek Baptist Church (approx. 5 miles away); Saint Paul Methodist Church (approx. 5˝ miles away); James W. Dillon House Museum (approx. 6 miles away); a different marker also named James W. Dillon House Museum (approx. 6 miles away); Dillon County Supreme Sacrifice Memorial (approx. 6.4 miles away); Dillon County Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Julius Rosenwald. Over the course of his life, Rosenwald and his fund donated over 70 million dollars to public schools, colleges and universities, museums, Jewish charities and black institutions. The rural school building program was one of the largest programs administered by the Rosenwald Fund. It contributed more than four million dollars in matching funds to the construction of more than 5,000 schools, shops, and teachers' homes in the South. These schools became informally known as "Rosenwald Schools." (Submitted on October 29, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7. submitted on May 4, 2020, by Eric A. Ramsey of Sumter, South Carolina. 8. submitted on November 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 9. submitted on May 5, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.