The Trolley Station at Bayshore Park
— Trolleys Helped Build Our Parks —
The #26 streetcar brought thousands of Baltimoreans to Bayshore Park. Trolleys provided a convenient way for people to travel and could be chartered for group outings. Many people spent their vacations trolleying, using trolley maps to see where they could go on the Red Rocket.
Each day the first Bayshore Park trolley left for Baltimore at 6:40 am, and the last trolley left the park at 11:15 pm. A trolley stopped at Howard and Franklin streets every hour, starting at 7:00 am, to take passengers to the Park. From 1906-1942, round trip fare was 30 cents.
The trolley station at Bayshore Park is 208 feet long. Many of the features incorporated into the trolley station design were the same ones used in the design of a streetcar. For example, the station has the same number of spaces between posts as there are windows on a trolley. The station was restored to its original design in 1997 by the Department of Natural Resources in-house staff.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1997.
Location. 39° 12.39′ N, 76° 25.508′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. About This Fountain… (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rebirth of a Maryland Historical Treasure (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hard Travel (about 600 feet away); John Smith Explores the Chesapeake (about 600 feet away); Dreaded Alarm (about 700 feet away); Wetlands (approx. half a mile away); The Presbytery of Baltimore (approx. 0.8 miles away); A Heavy Price (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edgemere.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 2, 2011, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 564 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 26, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2. submitted on November 2, 2011, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.