Initially, “a number of cheap shops” were erected which, by 1863, included a fishmarket, a bakery, a blacksmith, a bowling saloon, the Sacramento Restaurant and the Pioneer Wholesale and Retail Variety Store.
Alfred Waddington retained private ownership of the alley until his death of smallpox in 1872. Both before and after his death the paving of the alley was of public concern. In 1866 dangerous potholes covered with iron plates were evident and in 1878 complaints referred to the sidewalk being in a sad state of repair.
Finally in 1908 a pavement of creosoted wood (Douglas fir) blocks was laid in the alley, along with a sidewalk incorporating a metal carriage curb at a total cost of just under $1000.
In 1992, the alley was restored by the City of Victoria with the assistance of the Victoria Hoo Hoo Club, the Cowichan Valley Hoo Hoo Club, the British Columbia Forest Museum Society and the British Columbia Heritage Trust.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 48° 25.616′ N, 123° 22.177′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker is at the intersection of Yates Street and Waddington Alley on Yates Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 524 Yates Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1K8, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leiser Building (here, next to this marker); S.J. Pitts, Importer (a few steps from this marker); Thomas Earle Warehouse (a few steps from this marker); The Oriental Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Victoria, B.C. (within shouting distance of this marker); Shop/Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Amor De Cosmos, 1825-1897 (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Mizzen Mast – H.M.S. Algerine (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 547 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 3, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.