Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baden in Beaver County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of First Mass

 
 
Site of First Mass Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, September 12, 2015
1. Site of First Mass Marker
Inscription.  Near here at the Indian Village of Logstown, Reverand Father Joseph De Bonnecamps, S.J. celebrated the first Holy Catholic mass in Beaver County August 9, 1749. The mass marked the beginning of Christianity in Beaver County.
 
Erected by Beaver County Historical Research & Landmarks Foundation.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania - Beaver County Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1749.
 
Location. 40° 37.605′ N, 80° 13.773′ W. Marker is in Baden, Pennsylvania, in Beaver County. Marker is at the intersection of Logan Road and Ohio River Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 65), on the right when traveling east on Logan Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baden PA 15005, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hill Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Down The Ohio (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Hill Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Logstown
Site of First Mass Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, September 12, 2015
2. Site of First Mass Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); Anthony Wayne's Camp (approx. 0.2 miles away); Legionville (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Logstown (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Logstown (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baden.
 
More about this marker. Marker was originally located on Logan Lane across PA 65, it was moved sometime in 2015 to its current location.
 
Also see . . .  Beaver County Historical Research & Landmarks Foundation. Marker Program (Submitted on November 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 676 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49429

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 20, 2022