Livingston in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Locomotive No. 5
Built in 1911 by Philadelphia's Baldwin Locomotive Works, this locomotive was first used to transport timber in Florida. In the 1920's it was purchased for use in Texas' logging industry by the Angelina County-based Carter-Kelley Lumber Company. The locomotive traveled between Angelina and Polk County mill towns on Houston, East and West Texas railway tracks picking up logs and finished lumber that frequently had been hauled from local cutting areas by oxen. In use until 1952, the No.5 contributed to the area's timber industry.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10407.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 30° 42.644′ N, 94° 56.228′ W. Marker is in Livingston, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of West Church Street (U.S. 190) and North Drew Street, on the right when traveling east on West Church Street. Located in Heritage Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Livingston TX 77351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Early Indian Trails (a few steps from this marker); Livingston (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1905 Courthouse Annex (approx. 0.2 miles away); First State Bank of Livingston (approx. 0.2 miles away); Polk County (approx. ¼ mile away); Polk County, C.S.A. (approx. ¼ mile away); Polk County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); "Polk County Enterprise" (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livingston.
Additional keywords. steam engine
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.