Covington in Newton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Washington Street School
A Bedrock of Black History in Newton County, GA.
1941 -- A new brick school house was completed. The name and traditions remained the same.
1947 - The city and county school systems consolidated.
1955 - Washington Street High School faculty and students moved to R. L. Cousins School.
1971 - The Washington Street Grammar School closed.
1979 - Washington Street Community Center, Inc. was organized.
WASHINGTON STREET SCHOOL – A BELOVED LEGACY
"Consider education not as the painful accumulation of facts but as the transmission of our mental, moral, technical and aesthetic heritage as fully as possible to as many as possible . . . " Durant
Erected 2003 by Newton County Historical Society Landmark Committee. (Marker Number 23.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education.
Location. 33° 35.617′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4138 School Street, Covington GA 30014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Capture of Covington (approx. 0.4 miles away); Covington Square (approx. half a mile away); Newton County War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); To The Confederate Dead of Newton County (approx. half a mile away); Lucius Q. C. Lamar (approx. 0.6 miles away); City Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Covington City School (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Female College (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 489 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.