League City in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mainland Mission Churches
As the area population grew, the Diocese continued to construct mission churches. Father Jerome A. Rapp, the first priest assigned to Hitchcock and Alta Loma, was also instrumental in building mission churches in Dickinson (St. Joseph) and League City (St. Mary). The Diocese also built a mission church (St. Mary) in Texas City.
The churches became vital institutions within their communities. Many events that began as fundraising endeavors became community traditions, including bazaars, pageants and picnics. The churches also provided education to the area, opening parochial schools in 1946 and 1963. Additionally, a variety of clubs and groups organized within these churches.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13672.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 29° 30.681′ N, 95° 5.411′ W. Marker is in League City, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Colorado Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 620 E Main St, League City TX 77573, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mary Mission Church (here, next to this marker); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); T.J. and Mary Lelia Dick House (about 500 feet away); League Park (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named League Park (about 600 feet away); Cypress Timbers (about 700 feet away); Fairview Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Galveston County Poor Farm (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in League City.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 578 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 4, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on August 15, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.