Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co. Commission House
Historic Third Ward
placed on the
of Historic Places
E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co.
Tour Site 9
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 43° 2.117′ N, 87° 54.434′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of North Broadway Street and East St Paul Avenue, on the left when traveling south on North Broadway Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 N Broadway St, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Broadway Produce Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); Jewett & Sherman Co. Merchant Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); O.C. Hansen Glove and Mitten Mfg. Co. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kalvelage Wholesale Commission House (about 300 feet away); Otto Kuehn Leaf Tobacco Warehouse (about 400 feet away); F. Mayer Boot & Shoe Co.Baumbach Building (about 400 feet away); Standard Paper Co. (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Regarding E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co. Commission House. E.R. Godfrey & Sons constructed this building in 1911 for their commission and wholesale grocery business. It is claimed they were responsible for shipping the first banana to Milwaukee as well as for being the first to enter the frozen food business in the area. The Bruce Publishing Co., a printer of bibles and liturgical materials, remodeled the building extensively when they moved here in 1949. The LoDuca Brothers bought the building in 1972 and renamed it the LoDuca Building. The building was converted to residential condominiums in 2005. -Historic Third Ward Walking Tour brochure
Also see . . . Historic Third Ward - Take A Tour. Historic Third Ward Association (Submitted on December 18, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 651 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 15, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.