Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sacred Heart Church
The earliest Catholic services in the Galveston area were conducted in 1838. In 1884, as a result of the church's growth under the direction of such leaders as Bishop J.M. Odin, the Galveston Diocese established Sacred Heart as the fourth church on the island.
Services for Sacred Heart Church were held in the St. Mary's University building until 1892, when the parish's first structure was completed. Designed by the noted Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton, it was destroyed in the 1900 hurricane.
The present building, the second for the parish, was constructed in 1903-04 during the pastorate of the Rev. D.J. Murphy. A prominent landmark in the city, it features ornate octagonal towers, flying buttresses, elaborate ornamentation, and a variety of arches. The design reflects influences of the Moorish, Byzantine, Gothic and Romanesque styles. The building's original dome, damaged in a 1915 hurricane, was redesigned by Nicholas Clayton.
Sacred Heart Church has played a significant role in the growth and development of Galveston. Since the 1880s, many of the city's prominent business, professional, civic
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7170.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
Location. 29° 18.186′ N, 94° 46.893′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway and 14th Street, on the right when traveling north on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1302 Broadway, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rt. Rev. Monsignor Marius Etienne Chataignon (a few steps from this marker); The Bishop's Palace (within shouting distance of this marker); Powhatan and Mattie Wren House (within shouting distance of this marker); Carl and Hilda Biehl House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William and Adele Skinner House (about 300 feet away); Thomas Chubb House (about 400 feet away); Wegner House (about 400 feet away); Julius H. Ruhl Residence (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 540 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 2, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 4, 5. submitted on April 27, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 6. submitted on January 2, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.