Dickinson in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
Bishop Kinsolving visited in May 1900 and confirmed nine new members into the church. Later that year, the church suffered extensive damage in the 1900 hurricane that devastated Galveston and the Texas gulf coast. A year later, with funding assistance from the diocese, the members of Holy Trinity were able to erect their first church building, later fondly referred to as “the little church by the side of the road.” The Ladies’ Guild raised funds to furnish the church, which was dedicated on November 10, 1901.
For the next half-century, a number of resident priests and deacons, as well as supply clergy from churches in Alvin, Galveston, Texas City, Houston and Harrisburg served the mission. A church social first held in 1930 evolved into the Strawberry Festival, an annual community-wide event. The congregation added other buildings over the years, including a rectory dedicated in memory of victims of the 1947 Texas City disaster.
Holy Trinity Church attained parish status in 1954. By the early 1960s the church undertook a new building campaign, and “the little church by the side of the road” was replaced with a larger facility for the congregation’s growing membership. The church continues to serve the community with a variety of programs.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13612.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 27.471′ N, 95° 2.913′ W. Marker is in Dickinson, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of St Goar Street (Old State Highway 3) and 46th St, on the left when traveling north on St Goar Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4613 Texas 3, Dickinson TX 77539, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Faith United Methodist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); The Dickinson Station of the Galveston, Houston, & Henderson Railroad Co. (approx. 2.1 miles away); League Park (approx. 4˝ miles away); Mainland Mission Churches (approx. 4˝ miles away); St. Mary Mission Church (approx. 4˝ miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 4˝ miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dickinson.
Also see . . . Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Dickinson, Texas. (Submitted on January 5, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 5, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 529 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on January 7, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photo 1. submitted on January 5, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?