Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lakeland in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Sorosis Club Building

 
 
The Sorosis Club Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, December 22, 2011
1. The Sorosis Club Building Marker
Inscription.  In 1922 the Sorosis Club or sorority, a women's club in Lakeland, was organized. Named after the first incorporated women's club in America, the Sorosis Club of New York, the Sorosis Club's mission included service to the community, as well as social and cultural activities. This property was purchased in 1925 as the site for its new clubhouse. Plans for the Italian Renaissance building by W.B. Talley (1871-1956), a Lakeland architect, were approved in 1926, and construction was completed by N. L. Snelson in 1927 at a cost of $42,000. This clubhouse was the first community center in the city. The Italian Renaissance style was most popular in the United States between 1890 and 1935. Typical elements of the style include the symmetrical design to the front of the building, a flat roof with a low wall around it, wrought-iron railings, recessed porches with arches, and small classical columns. Goldenrod, the club flower of The Sorosis Club, is stenciled below the roof. Two large stone lanterns on each side of the front walk represent knowledge and leadership. The detailing of this building is unique in Lakeland, and unusual in the Central Florida
The Sorosis Club Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, December 22, 2011
2. The Sorosis Club Building and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
region.

A Florida Heritage Site

 
Erected 2001 by the City of Lakeland Historic Preservation Board and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-457.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1922.
 
Location. 28° 2.3′ N, 81° 57.002′ W. Marker is in Lakeland, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is on Lake Morton Drive south of Vistabula Street, on the left when traveling south. The marker sits along the east side of Lake Morton. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90 Lake Morton Drive, Lakeland FL 33801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Women's Club of Lakeland (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Second Mass. Infantry Camp (approx. ¼ mile away); Allen Kryger (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Frank Lloyd Wright Campus of Florida Southern College (approx. 0.4 miles away); ‘Mute Swan Protecting Her Cygnets’ (approx. half a mile away); The Oates Building (approx. half a mile away); Munn Park (approx. half a mile away); Polk Theatre and Office Building (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lakeland.
 
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the logo of the Florida Historical Marker Program.
 
Regarding The Sorosis Club Building. The Sorosis Club building is
The Sorosis Club Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, December 22, 2011
3. The Sorosis Club Building and Marker
a Contributing Structure within the East Lake Morton Residential District (a National Historic District).

Currently, the building is home to the Junior League of Greater Lakeland. The building is available for weddings, banquets, meetings, and other special events.
 
Also see . . .  Sorosis Building Website. from the the Junior League of Greater Lakeland (Submitted on January 23, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.) 
 
The Sorosis Club Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, December 22, 2011
4. The Sorosis Club Building
Now home to the Junior League of Greater Lakeland
The Sorosis Club Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, December 22, 2011
5. The Sorosis Club Building
Viewed from across Lake Morton
East Lake Morton Historic District Sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, December 22, 2011
6. East Lake Morton Historic District Sign
The Sorosis Club building is part of a national historic district.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 755 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 23, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=51933

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 28, 2022