Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fuller & Johnson Manufacturing Co. Office Building
1885; Additions c. 1892 and 1909
Designated September 7, 2004
Erected 2012 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 163.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 7, 1751.
Location. 43° 5.309′ N, 89° 21.9′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Washington AvenueTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1344 East Washington Avenue, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gisholt Machine Company Manufacturing Complex (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Steensland Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Steensland Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); John A. Johnson made Madison's Factory District Flourish (approx. ¼ mile away); Tenney Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Burr Jones Field (approx. ¼ mile away); Sixth Ward Public Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Yahara River Parkway (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Fuller & Johnson Manufacturing Co. Office Building. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This relatively small office building is all that remains intact of the once sprawling Fuller & Johnson Manufacturing Company. It was built largely in an industrial vernacular mode but features a classically styled main entrance. Most of the former complex was located across Dickinson St. from this site. One of its founders, John A. Johnson, also started the Gisholt Machine Co. on E. Washington Ave., and was a powerful catalyst for turning Madison into an important manufacturing center in the 1880s."
Related markers.list of markers that are related to this marker. These are markers that mention John A. Johnson. The page for the first one includes a photo of the nearby gravestone of his parents, which mentions their hometown of Gisholt.
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the building (pdf). (Submitted on February 2, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 652 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 2, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on February 22, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 3, 4. submitted on February 2, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.