Sundance Square in Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Additions were made to the hotel and it was renamed the Pickwick. The hotel’s name changed to the Delaware in 1891. The Delaware was demolished in 1911, and the seven-story Westbrook Hotel opened on the site. In 1917, the Westbrook’s crowded lobby became the center of frenzied oil boom activity. A lobby sculpture was named the “Golden Goddess” because of the many oil deals made around her. The Westbrook was torn down in 1978 and the “Golden Goddess” now resides at the Petroleum Club at 7th & Main Streets.
Erected 2006 by Heritage Trails and Susan Kelly Blue, M.D. (Marker Number 8.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings
Location. 32° 45.292′ N, 97° 19.881′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. It is in Sundance Square. Marker is on Main Street north of East 4th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Opera Houses & Theaters (within shouting distance of this marker); Gamblers & Gunfights (within shouting distance of this marker); Western Union Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Land Title Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Morris and Conn Buildings (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Plaza Hotel Building (about 300 feet away); Sinclair Building (about 400 feet away); Blackstone Hotel (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 5, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 571 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 3, 4. submitted on November 16, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.