Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fort Valley in Peach County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Luke’s Episcopal Church

 
 
St Luke’s Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 20, 2004
1. St Luke’s Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  This parish had its origins in the Episcopal Church’s support of Fort Valley High and Industrial School in 1913, which it operated from 1919 until 1939 in partnership with the American Church Institute for Negroes in New York, the Diocese of Atlanta, and the Diocese of Georgia. In 1939 the school became Fort Valley State College and part of the University System of Georgia. Fort Valley College Center became St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in 1958. Through a gift from New York philanthropist Ethel Mary Cheney Thorne, the current building was designed by Stanislaw Makielski and constructed in 1939-1940.
 
Erected 2003 by Georgia Historical Society and St. Luke’s Episcopal Church. (Marker Number 111-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities 🎓 series lists.
 
Location. 32° 32.489′ N, 83° 
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 15, 2012
2. St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Marker
53.756′ W. Marker is in Fort Valley, Georgia, in Peach County. Marker is at the intersection of State University Drive and St Lukes Lane, on the right when traveling south on State University Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 State University Drive, Fort Valley GA 31030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Dead (approx. half a mile away); Peach County (approx. one mile away); James A. Everett (approx. one mile away); Home of Samuel Henry Rumph (approx. 6˝ miles away); Gen. John B. Gordon (approx. 10.3 miles away); Governor John Houston (approx. 11.1 miles away); Perry Methodist Church (approx. 11.1 miles away); Perry United Methodist Church (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Valley.
 
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 15, 2012
3. St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Marker
The church is in the background.
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Sanctuary image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 15, 2012
4. St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Sanctuary
St Luke’s Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 15, 2012
5. St Luke’s Episcopal Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,070 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on February 22, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on October 6, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 22, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 6, 2021