Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seale in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Old Russell County Courthouse

 
 
Old Russell County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, March 16, 2007
1. Old Russell County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  During the Federal occupation of the former Confederate States of America, the Alabama Legislature created Lee County primarily from the northern half of Russell County in 1866 and ordered the selection of the county seat "more centrally located." Government in Russell County was practically non-existent at the time; few records were kept and taxes levied only for favored political purposes. An election was called; Seale won. Simeon O'Neal and Cicero McBride selected this commanding site. John Lewis was architect.

Marker Reverse:
Political opportunists kept confusion reigning; another election was held in 1868; Seale won; excavation began; records were removed from the former county seat at Crawford to a nearby store until rooms were sufficiently complete. Permanent funding was not enacted until 1871, the total cost being $9,600.00. Simeon O'Neal was the contractor. The wing rooms, the inside stairs, and exterior rebricking was accomplished in 1908. In 1935 the branch at Phenix City was elected the county seat with Seale remaining a branch until it was closed in 1943.
 
Erected
Old Russell County Courthouse Marker Reverse side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, March 16, 2007
2. Old Russell County Courthouse Marker Reverse side
Click or scan to see
this page online
1984 by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission And The Old Russell County Courthouse Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsPolitical Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1866.
 
Location. 32° 17.894′ N, 85° 10.061′ W. Marker is in Seale, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Chapel Street and Longview Street. Marker located to the grounds on the front right side of the old Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Jackson Street, Seale AL 36875, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Russell County and the Town of Seale (a few steps from this marker); The Second Creek War in Russell County (a few steps from this marker); Creek Settlements in Russell County (a few steps from this marker); Seale United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holland McTyeire Smith (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Bacon McDonald (approx. half a mile away); William Bacon Oliver (approx. 1.2 miles away); Villula (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seale.
 
Old Russell County Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, March 16, 2007
3. Old Russell County Courthouse and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,790 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on March 3, 2012, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2009, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=53160

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 26, 2022