Wall Township in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Located at mile post 1.64 of Central RR of NJ’s Freehold Branch, first station south of Matawan, at Route 79 road crossing.
Closed April 1953, donated and moved to Pine Creek RR, Marlboro NJ, June 1955, moved to Allaire December 1964
Originally named Mount Pleasant, town name changed 1890 for poet, journalist, and Revolutionary War patriot Philip Freneau.
Erected by NJ Museum of Transportation, Pine Creek Railroad.
Location. 40° 9.542′ N, 74° 7.793′ W. Marker is in Wall Township, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker can be reached from County Route 524, on the left when traveling west. The Freneau Station is located in the NJ Museum of Transportation in Allaire State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Farmingdale NJ 07727, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Newsstand (a few steps from this marker); 3-Sided Watchman’s Shanty (within shouting distance of this marker); PRR Watchman’s Shanty (within Allentown Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Stone Blocks from the Camden and Amboy Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Allaire Village (about 700 feet away); Songs Of The Season (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wall Township.
Also see . . . A History of the New Jersey Museum of Transportation and the Pine Creek Railroad. The New Jersey Museum of Transportation website. (Submitted on March 3, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for Freneau Station.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 3, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 520 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 3, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.