Near Avery in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Avery One-Room School House
Hazel Fischer taught here from July 1916 to March 1941. Ms Fischer took all the students to San Francisco World’s Fair in 1939. She was also known to take them swimming for their physical education.
The school closed in March 1941.
When the present highway was constructed and the timber industry grew, a new school was built in White Pines.
Erected 2011 by E Clampus Vitus, Matuca Chapter 1849.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 4, 1886.
Location. 38° 12.173′ N, 120° 22.206′ W. Marker is near Avery, California, in Calaveras County. Marker can be reached from Ebbets Pass Highway (State Highway 4). This marker is on an 'abandoned' side road to the Ebbetts Pass Highway. It is on the right when heading west (downhill). Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Avery Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Avery Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Doc S.C. Linebaugh Park (approx. 4˝ miles away); White Pines History (approx. 4.8 miles away); Sheep Ranch (approx. 5.2 miles away); Sheep Ranch Mine (approx. 5.3 miles away); California Big Trees State Park (approx. 6.2 miles away); Discovery and Exploitation (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Avery.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 638 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.