Grand Prairie in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
LiveStone Lodge No. 152, F. & A. M.
In 1944, the lodge building was moved to the Dalworth community. The site, in one of the few areas where African Americans were allowed to buy property, cost $200. As at “The Line,” LiveStone members, leaders in the African-American community of Grand Prairie, have continued to provide a center for community gatherings, education, and public meetings.
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12012.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1850.
Location. 32° 44.181′ N, 97° 1.65′ W. Marker is in Grand Prairie, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on SW 18th Street north of Beaumont Street, on the left Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1802 Beaumont, Grand Prairie TX 75051, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grand Prairie Airfield (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Southland Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Dr. H.V. Copeland Home (approx. 1.4 miles away); Avion Village (approx. 2 miles away); Arlington Downs Racetrack and Fountain (approx. 2½ miles away); Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack (approx. 2.6 miles away); P.A. Watson Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); West Fork United Presbyterian Church (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Prairie.
Regarding LiveStone Lodge No. 152, F. & A. M.. The Most Worshipful Grand Master of Prince Hall Masons in Texas Jurisdiction, J.W. McKinney, granted dispensation to Livestone Masonic Lodge #152 on the 24th day of July, 1903.
Seeing the need of brotherhood and fraternity to bind our community together, our Masonic forefathers petitioned the Grand Lodge of Texas for a charter to open a Lodge. The following Worthy Master Masons reading in the vicinity of Grand Prairie were involved in the petition to be organized as a Lodge: L.C. Combs, J.R. Moore, Charles E. Swan, Henry Williams, Joe Taylor, and Aaron Jones. These men were authorized and empowered to open a Lodge of
The Lodge building was originally built for the newly formed Lodge in the vicinity of Antioch Baptist Church and Cemetery, near the black community known as “The Line”. “The Line” was so named because it was a row of homesteads owned by recently freed slaves of area settlers and freedman migrating to the area from southeastern Texas. The cemetery remains at the location, at the now named Hardy Road and Avenue D in the Lakeview addition, but has now been renamed American Memorial Cemetery. Many of the original African American residents of Grand Prairie are buried in this cemetery.
At this site, the slaves that were freed following the Civil War made a “colored” community. The Lodge building was used by “The Line” residents for many community, not just Lodge meetings. According to Mrs. Iola Reed Smith, as documented on audiotape by Mrs. Ruthie Jackson, June 30, 1986, it was used as a schoolhouse and church. Mrs. Iola remembers her school days at this building site. According to Mrs. Smith, the Lodge Hall also originally housed the Evening Chapel A.M.E. Church in the churches’ earlier days before the congregation could secure their own building.
In 1944, the Lodge building was relocated to the Dalworth community, and placed on land
At the time that the building was relocated, a new cornerstone was installed in the foundation, to the right of the front door. This building cornerstone of white marble reads:
Livestone #152 F. & A.M.
Organized July 24, 1903
Laid by Metropolitan Lodge #146 F. & A.M.
July 22, 1945
The building served the Dalworth Community in multiple ways, as it had when located at “The Line”. It served as a community-meeting place, a social center, and again as a school. For a couple of years, around 1944, while the Dalworth School was being built, David Daniels conducted 6th and 7th grade classes in the upstairs room of the Lodge. Box suppers and community socials were held in the downstairs room periodically. And, while Lodge meetings were held in the upstairs room, the first floor was used by members of the Dalworth chapters of Eastern Star and the Heroines of Jericho (which were formed by the Livestone Lodge) for their meetings and community events.
According to current members David Daniels and Sam Brown, some of the builders of the Lodge were: Mose Jordan (Past Worshipful Master), M.G. Tallie, Willie Shelton, Eddie Dance, Tom Dell, Leon Shelton, Charlie Dawson, Charlie Reese, Harry Fisher, and Robert Shelton. Livestone Lodge
1. Lodge Building
As of October 12, 2013, the lodge building is no longer at the site of the marker.
— Submitted November 24, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas.
Additional keywords. Masonic, Lodge, Prince Hall, F&AM, Freemason
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2008, by Odin Clack of Irving, Texas. This page has been viewed 5,052 times since then and 122 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 13, 2008, by Odin Clack of Irving, Texas. 2. submitted on February 12, 2008, by Odin Clack of Irving, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on March 2, 2008, by Odin Clack of Irving, Texas. 5. submitted on November 24, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.