Thomaston in Upson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pettigrew - White – Stamps House
Home of the Upson Historical Society
Placed in Memory of James Hightower
1777 – 1851
William Gaines Andrews
1796 – 1875
By Mr. and Mrs. Wm. H. Hightower, Jr.
Erected by Mr. and Mrs. Wm. H. Hightower, Jr.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 32° 52.683′ N, 84° 19.629′ W. Marker is in Thomaston, Georgia, in Upson County. Marker is at the intersection of South Church Street (U.S. 19) and Andrews Drive, on the right when traveling south on South Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 South Church Street, Thomaston GA 30286, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Dead (approx. 0.4 miles away); Upson County (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Cannon Ball (approx. 0.6 miles away); Upson Confederate Memorial General John B. Gordon (approx. 0.7 miles away); Trice Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 7.3 miles away); First Post Office (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thomaston.
Regarding Pettigrew-White-Stamps House. The house is the second oldest house in Thomaston, uilt in 1833 by John E. Pettigrew as a one and a half story house with a full attic.
In 1840 Benjamin B. White purchased the house, and added an additional bedroom, a dining room and kitchen, and a large verandah across the back of the residence.
During the 1880's the house came into the possession of the Stamps family, who lived there until 1968. This house was originally located on North Church Street and was moved in 1968 to its present location by the Upson Historical Society to save it from demolition.
Also see . . . Pettigrew-White-Stamps House. Information on the house from "Discover the Pettigrew, White, Stamps House" (Submitted on March 18, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 485 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 13, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.