Groveton in Trinity County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Trinity County Courthouse
In late 1913, the county commissioners hired C.H. Page and Bros. of Austin to design a new courts building that would incorporate the 1908 records vault. Accepted in July the next year, the structure was rectilinear in plan, stretching to connect almost seamlessly to the records vault on the east side of the courthouse square. Classical Revival
Today, the courthouse remains a center of county life. The site of parades, rallies and festivals, the structure is a symbol of justice and a unified citizenry. Within its walls, births, marriages and deaths are recorded, and fates are decided. It remains a link to the promise the future held for early-20th-century residents of Trinity County, and to the efforts and dedication of those who have since worked to preserve the county's heritage.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13075.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 31° 3.34′ N, 95° 7.587′ W. Marker is in Groveton, Texas, in Trinity County. Marker is at the intersection of First Street (U.S. 287) and Main Street, on the left when traveling east on First Street. Located in the courthouse square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 162 W First St, Groveton TX 75845, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Groveton (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity County Seats (within shouting distance of this marker); Steele's Academy (approx. 11 miles away); Site of the Town of Sebastopol (approx. 12˝ miles away); Albert Holley House (approx. 12˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 413 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 18, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.