Rockport in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Rockport’s Seafood Industry
About 1909, Charlie Gibson established the Rockport Fish and Oyster Company, which sold Mesquite Bay oysters. Its building stood on pilings over Aransas Bay. Most of the early fish companies had their own fleet of boats for catching fish in nets, but they would also buy from local fishermen. On many days and nights, Rockport’s fishing companies shipped dozens of barrels of fish by rail. In 1907, the State of Texas established regulations to stop overfishing, and the local industry declined.
In 1919, Ford Jackson bought his brother’s interest in the Jackson Fish Company and changed the name to Jackson Seafood Company. Jackson added shrimp to his
After hurricane Celia in 1970, Jackson Seafood diversified by harvesting sea scallops on the East Coast. Although the company closed in 1991, other Rockport firms, including several owned and operated by Vietnamese immigrants, have continued harvesting fish and shrimp.
Erected 2011 by Visionaries in Preservation, Aransas County Historical Society, Inc., Texas Historical Foundation, Texas Tropical Trail/Texas Historical Commission, Aransas County Historical Commission, City of Rockport, and Margaret Sue Rust Foundation. (Marker Number 7.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 28° 1.532′ N, 97° 3.004′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is at the intersection of Veterans Memorial Drive and North Austin Street (Loop Texas Highway 70), on the right when traveling east on Veterans Memorial Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockport TX 78382, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woman’s Club of Aransas County Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Aransas County Veterans Memorial Fulton-Bruhl House (about 400 feet away); Hoopes-Smith House (about 600 feet away); Bracht House (about 700 feet away); Rockport’s Harbor (about 800 feet away); St. Peter’s Episcopal Church (about 800 feet away); First National Bank of Rockport (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockport.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2012. This page has been viewed 697 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 21, 2012. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.