Princeton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Princeton Battle Monument
ADSIS TV PATRIAE SAECVLA QVI DIRIGIS
(translation: The ages pass away. We too, yet lingering, are hurried on. Oh Thou who guidest the ages, guard our land!)
A nearby sign (see picture below) gives a brief history of the Princeton Monument and identifies recent efforts to permanently illuminate it. It reads:
In 2006 the Princeton Parks Alliance, in carrying out the vision of Princeton Borough Major Joseph O’Neill, undertook a project to permanently illuminate the Monument. As with the original construction of the Monument, local citizens responded with generous donations. The Monument lighting was funded with gifts from Princeton University, Sara and Alexander Buck, Randy and Herb Hobler, Betty Johnson, Douglas F. Bushnell, Marie and Edward Matthews, Barbara and Art Morgan, The Gordon and Llura Gund Foundation, Betsy and Tod Peyton, Joan and Bill Schreyer, Charles C. Townsend Jr., Andrew Kootz and Laurie Harmon, Wendy and Peter Benchley, Sherry MacLean, and many more. Additional funding from the State of New Jersey was made possible through the efforts of Assemblyman Reed Gusciora.
Topics and series. This historical marker monument is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #29 Warren G. Harding series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1764.
Location. 40° 20.867′ N, 74° 39.95′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Princeton NJ 08540, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel John Haslet (here, next to this marker); Campsite of The Army of Louis XVI, King of France (here, next to this marker); New Jersey Patriots (here, next to this marker); Marines in the Revolution (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Princeton Battle Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); The House Front (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Washington-Rochambeau Historic Route” (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wash House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Princeton.
Regarding Princeton Battle Monument. The monument was designed by sculptor Frederick MacMonnies and dedicated by President Harding.
This monument has been well maintained by the State of New Jersey. However, many of the delicate, intricate carvings on the monument are starting to wear down making them difficult to see without detailed examination.
The wide mural at the front base of the monument has been particularly hard hit. Grout from the stones that make up the monument have caused discoloration and, apparently, some damage
Maintenance patches to other parts of the monument are easily seen by the naked eye as well as widespread stains and chemical reaction to the elements all over the monument.
Also see . . .
1. For a Princeton Battle Monument. Originally published by The New York Times on May 11, 1892
"Trenton, N.J., May 10 (1892) – Information has been received here that United States Senator McPherson has induced the Senate Committee on Library to support the measure prepared by him which authorizes the appropriation of $30,000 for the erection of a monumental column to commemorate the Battle of Princeton.
The Princeton Battle Monument Association is expected to raise by popular subscription an amount to purchase the site and secure a suitable design, which must be approved by the Secretary of War.
The entire structure is to cost about $60,000." (Submitted on February 14, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Announcement of Harding's visit to Princeton for the dedication of the Princeton Battle Monument. Harding will Visit Princeton tomorrow; Dedication of Revolutionary Battle Monument to Be Followed by Degree.
An article about the dedication of the monument originally published in The New York Times on June 8, 1922.
Of note, the final cost of the monument was $300,000, as opposed to the $60,000 estimated in 1892. (Submitted on February 14, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
1. Changes to Monument Over Time
I found a picture of the monument from around the time of its construction. Originally, it was in a heavily wooded area and the road appears to run directly in front of it. There was also a flight of stairs up to the monument. The stairs appear to be mostly gone with the exception of one or two that are now used to step up from the plaza pavement.
— Submitted February 14, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 14, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 3,771 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on February 14, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. 13. submitted on February 23, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 14. submitted on August 17, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.