Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Philadelphia Quartz Company
Furnace Room #1 and Mixing Room
— Constructed 1917-1918 —
The Furnace Room housed “the Mammoth,” a large revolving heated steel drum that combined sand and soda ash to produce molten silica. Constructed during a period of intense industrial development in the Bay Area, this plant was part of a complex producing sodium silicate and Epsom salts. Designed by company engineers, the buildings are examples of a bold, utilitarian architectural style common to the early 20th century. Notable features include subtle masonry detailing and massive steel framework. The Berkeley Chamber of Commerce Industrial Survey in 1926 cited the Philadelphia Quartz complex as one of Berkeley’s “factories beautiful.”
The Philadelphia Quartz operation closed in 1997. Bayer Corporation acquired the property in 1999 and renovated the building.
Erected 2003 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1960.
Location. 37° 51.295′ N, 122° 17.689′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Grayson Street east of 7th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 810 Grayson Street, Berkeley CA 94710, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Pump House - Peet Brothers/Colgate Palmolive (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frances Albrier (approx. 0.6 miles away); In Memoriam (NSGW WWI Memorial) (approx. 0.8 miles away); Rumford's Pharmacy (approx. 0.8 miles away); Santa Fe Railroad Tracks (approx. 0.8 miles away); Exxon Super Service Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); Garden History (approx. 0.9 miles away); Burl Toler, Sr. (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 718 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 23, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.