Norwalk in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Liberty Tree Memorial
This American Liberty Elm was named after “The Liberty Tree: Our Country’s first Symbol of Freedom.” On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the hated Stamp Act. From that day forward that elm became known as “The Liberty Tree.” It stood in silent witness to countless meetings, speeches and celebrations, and became the rallying place for the Sons of Liberty. In August of 1775, as a last act of violence prior to their evacuation of Boston, British soldiers cut it down because it bore the name “Liberty.”
Elm Research Institute, Keene, NH
Topics and series. This historical marker and memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Historic Trees series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1765.
Location. 41° 6.823′ N, 73° 24.428′ W. Marker is in Norwalk, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Sunset Hill Avenue near East Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in front Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 East Avenue, Norwalk CT 06851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burning of Norwalk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Norwalk (approx. 0.3 miles away); Norwalk World War I Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Paul’s Historic Graveyard (approx. 0.4 miles away); Parish of St. Paul’s (approx. half a mile away); St. Paul’s Church (approx. half a mile away); Norwalk Founded (approx. 0.7 miles away); Battle of the Rocks Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norwalk.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 935 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 26, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.